Introduction. Christ's Last Message to his friends. Most people claim that The Apocalypse is too deep and enigmatical to be understood. But it's style constitutes a challenge to faith. In delivering it to John for the benefit of "his servants", the Lord treated them as "his friends". He declared: "Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth; but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you" (John 15:15). The Apocalypse needs to be treated in that fashion. If we value the friendship of Christ we will not be deterred by its problems, but will prayerfully and conscientiously seek to understand it. "Blessed is he that readeth," declared Christ. Christ does not mock us by inviting us to engage in a vain study. The Apocalypse is not sealed:" Seal not the sayings of the prophecy of this book" (Rev. 22:10). That this book is understandable, the volumes of Eureka are a witness. With them before him, let no reader foster the idea that The Apocalypse is a book beyond comprehension. Under God, through the labours of its author, the basic principles of the Truth have been clearly set forth: and similarly, in Eureka, the deeper revelation of the divine purpose has been expounded. And in a manner that the simplest mind can grasp with a prayerful effort. Let the reader gratefully accept the providential help of Eureka. By its means he can read himself rich unto life eternal. A messenger from John in exile in Patmos would have crossed to Ephesus and then taken a circular route. The seven ecclesias are listed in the order he would have visited them. A NEW TRANSLATION OF THE FIRST FIVE CHAPTERS OF THE APOCALYPSE EPISTLES TO THE ECCLESIAS1. The Ephesian
Chapter 2:1 To the Angel of the Ephesian ecclesia write; These things saith he who holds the Seven Stars in his right hand walking in the midst of the seven lightstands which are golden.
2. I have known thy works, and thy labor, and thine awaiting, and that thou art not able to endure wicked men; and hast tried them who assert that they are Apostles, but are not, and has found them liars; 3. And thou hast suffered, and hast patient endurance, and thou hast labored on account of my Name, and hast not tired out. pg 3 4. But I have against thee that thou hast forsaken thy first love.
5. Remember then from whence thou hast fallen, and change thy mind, and do the first works; but if not, I come to thee speedily, and I will remove thy lightstand out of its place, except thou change thy mind.
6. But thou hast this, that thou hatest the works of the Nikolaitans, which I also hate.
7. He that hath an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. To him that overcomes, to him I will give to eat of the Wood of the Life which is in the midst of the Paradise of the Deity. 2. To the Smyrnean
8. AND to the Angel of the ecclesia of the Smyrneans write; These things saith the First and the Last, who was dead and lived; 9. I have known thy works, and the tribulation and the poverty; though thou art rich and the blasphemy of those who say that they themselves are Jews, and are not, but a Synogogue of the Satan.
10. Fear not the things which thou shalt suffer. Behold the Diabolos will cast of you into prison that ye may be tempted; and ye will have a tribulation of ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give to thee the coronal wreath of the life.
11. He that hath an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias: he who overcomes shall not be injured by the Second death. 3. To the Pergamian
12. AND to the Angel of the ecclesia in Pergamos write; These things saith he having the sharp double-edged longsword; 13. I have observed thy works and where thou dwellest, in which place is the throne of the Satan; but thou holdest fast my name, and deniedst not my faith even in the days in which Antipas was my faithful witness, who was put to death with you where the Satan sojourns.
14. But I have against thee a few things; that thou hast there men holding the teaching of Balaam, who instructed Balak to cast a stumblingblock before the sons of Israel, to eat idol-sacrifices and to fornicate. 15. So hast thou also men holding the teaching of the Nikolaitans, which thing I hate.
16. Change thy mind, but if not, I come to thee speedily, and I will fight against them with the longsword of my mouth.
17. He having an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. To him that overcometh, I will give to him to eat of the manna that hath been hidden; and I will give to him a white pebble, (pg 4) and upon the pebble a New Name that hath been engraved, which no one knew except the receiver. 4. To the Thyatiran
18. AND to the Angel of the ecclesia among Thyatirans write; These things saith the Son of the Deity, having his eyes like a flame of fire, and his feet like to incandescent brass; 19. I have known thy works, and thy love, and service, and faith, and endurance; and that thy works, even the last, are more than the first.
20. But I have a few things against thee, because thou permittest the woman Jezebel, who calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to fornicate, and to eat idol-sacrifices.
21. And I gave her time that she might heartily turn from her prostitution; but she turned not.
22. Behold I cast her into a bed, and them committing adultery with her into great tribulation, unless they may have heartily turned from their works.
23. And I will slay her children with death; and all the ecclesias shall know that I am he that searcheth reins and hearts; and I will give to you, to each one, according to your works.
24. But I say to you, and to the rest among the Thyatirans, as many as do not hold this teaching, and who acknowledged not the depths of the Satan as they speak; I will cast upon you no other burden.
25. Moreover that which ye have, hold fast to the time that I may have come. 26. And he that overcometh, and keepeth my appointments to an end, I will give to him dominion over the nations; 27. And he shall govern them with an iron sceptre: (as the potter's clay-vessels it is breaking to pieces) as also I have received from my Father. 28. And I will give to him the Morning Star.
29. He that hath an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. 5. To the Sardian
1. ALSO to the Angel of the ecclesia in Sardis write: These things saith he having the Seven Spirits of the Deity and the Seven Stars: I have known thy works, that thou hast the name that thou livest, but thou art dead. 2. Become thou vigilant, and strengthen the things remaining which are about to die: for I have not found thy works perfected in the sight of the Deity.
3. Be mindful therefore what thou hast received and heard, and strictly keep it, and be changed. If then thou have not been vigilant, I shall be come upon thee as a thief, and thou mayest not at all have known at what hour I shall be come upon thee.
4. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments: and they shall walk with me in white robes, because they are worthy.
5. The victor, he shall be clothed in white garments; and I will not at all obliterate his name from the scroll of the life, and I will openly confess his name in the presence of my Father, and in the presence of his angels.
6. He that hath an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. 6. To the Philadelphian
7. ALSO to the Angel of the ecclesia in Philadelphia write; These things saith the Holy One, the True One, he having the key of David, opening and no one shutteth, and he shuts and no one openeth. 8. I have observed thy works; behold I have placed before thee a door, which has been opened, and no one is able to shut it; because thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. 9. Behold I give up out of the Synagogue of the Satan them who say that they are Jews, yet are not, but do lie; behold I will cause them that they come and have prostrated themselves before thy feet, and that they may have known that I have loved thee. 10. Seeing that thou hast kept the word of my awaiting, I also will keep thee from the hour of the trial being about to come upon the whole habitable to prove them who dwell upon the earth. 11. Behold I come quickly; hold fast what thou hast that no one may have seized upon thy coronal wreath. 12. The victor, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my Deity, and he shall not at all go away out more; and I will write upon him the name of my Deity, and the name of the City of my Deity, the New Jerusalem, which descendeth out of the heaven from my Deity, even my New Name. 13. He having an ear to hear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. 7. To the Laodicean
14. ALSO to the Angel of the ecclesia of Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the Witness faithful and true, the Beginning of the creation of the Deity. 15. I have known thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot. Would that thou wert cold or hot! 16. Thus because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to vomit thee out of my mouth. 17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have abounded in wealth, and have need of nothing, and hast not known that thou art the wretched, and pitiable, and poor, and blind, and naked one. 18. I counsel thee to buy from me gold which has been refined by fire that thou mayest be rich; and white garments that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness may not be apparent; and anoint thine eyes with salve that thou mayest see. 19. Whomsoever I love I discipline and admonish; be zealous therefore, and change. 20. Behold I have stood at the door, and I knock; if any one may hear my voice, and open the door, I will enter in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. 21. The victor, I will give to him to sit with me in my throne as I also vanquished, and sat with my Father in his throne. 22. He that hath an ear let him hearken to what the Spirit saith to the ecclesias. Vision of the Thrones, the Elders, and the Living Ones
Chapter 4:1. AFTER these things I looked, and behold a door opened in the heaven, and that first voice which I heard as of a trumpet speaking with me, saying, "Ascend hither, and I will exhibit to thee things which must come to pass after these." 2. And immediately I was in spirit: and behold a THRONE was established in the heaven, and upon the throne one sitting. 3. And the one sitting was in appearance like to a jasper and sardine stone: and a rainbow circled about the throne in appearance like to an emerald.
4. And circling about the throne were twenty-four thrones: and upon the thrones I saw the twenty and four Elders sitting, having been invested with white garments; and they had upon their heads golden coronets.
5. And out of the throne proceed lightnings and thunders and voices: and seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the Seven Spirits of the Deity.
6. And before the throne a translucent sea, like to crystal. And in the midst of the throne and in the circle of the throne four Living Ones being full of eyes before and behind.
7. And the first living one was like to a lion; and the second living one like to a calf; and the third living one having the face like to a man; and the fourth living one like to an eagle flying. 8. And the four living ones, one by itself, had each six wings circling about it; and within they were full of eyes, and they have no intermission day and night, saying, Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord, the Omnipotent Deity, who was and who is, and who is coming.
9. And when the living ones shall give glory, and honor, and thanks to the one sitting upon the throne, who liveth for the Aions of the Aions, 10. The twenty and four Elders fall before the one sitting upon the throne, and they do homage to him who liveth for the Aions of the Aions, and they cast their coronets before the throne saying, 11. Worthy art thou, O Lord, to receive the glory, and the honor and the power; because thou createdst all things, and on account of thy will they exist, and were created. The Lamb, the Elders, and the Living Ones Indicated
Chapter 5:1. AND I saw at the right of him sitting upon the throne a SCROLL, which had been written within and on the back, sealed up with SEVEN SEALS. 2. And I saw a mighty angel heralding with a loud voice, "Who is worthy to unroll the scroll, and to loose the seals thereof?" 3. But no one in the heaven, nor upon the earth, nor under the earth, was able to unroll the scroll, nor to see it. 4. And I shed many tears, because no one was found worthy to unroll and read the scroll, nor to see it. 5. But one of the elders saith to me, Weep not; behold the LION who is of the Tribe of Judah, THE ROOT OF DAVID, hath prevailed to unroll the scroll, and to loose the seven seals thereof. 6. And I saw, and behold in the midst of the throne, and of the four living ones, and in the midst of the elders, a LAMB standing as if it had been slain, having Seven Horns and Seven Eyes, which are the SEVEN SPIRITS of the Deity sent forth into all the earth. 7. And he went and received the scroll from the right of him sitting upon the throne. 8. And when he received the scroll, the four Living Ones and the twentyfour Elders cast themselves down before the Lamb, having each one harps, and golden censers full of perfumes, which are the prayers of THE SAINTS 9. And they sing a NEW SONG, saying, "Thou'rt worthy to receive the scroll, and to undo the seals thereof; For thou wast slain, and with thy blood, The price, hast purchased us for God From ev'ry people, tribe, race, tongue, And mad'st us kings and priests to our God. And we shall reign the earth upon." 11. And I beheld, and heard a voice of many angels circled about the throne, and of the living ones, and of the elders: and the number of them was ten thousands of ten thousands and thousands of thousands, 12. Saying with a loud voice, "The Lamb that hath been put to death, The power, riches, wisdom, strength And honor, glory, blessing too Is worthy to receive." 13. And every created thing that is in the heaven, and things which are in the earth, and underneath the earth, and upon the sea, even all the things in them, I heard saying, "To him that sitteth on the throne And to the Lamb the blessing be, The honor, glory and the pow'r, The Aions of the Aions for!" 14. And the four living ones said, "So let it be:" and the twenty four elders cast themselves down, and did homage to him that liveth for the Aions of the Aions.